Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Native Americans/Japanese Americans

Learning about the Native Americans and the Japanese Americans really opened my eyes to how poorly they were treated. One of my best friends of whom I have known from little on up has a back round of the Native American culture, and I can not image if we would have lived in the time period when the Native Americans and Japanese Americans were treated poorly because I would have to watch my best friend go through many terrible things just to make her "civilized." I found it very interesting that some Native Americans find it some what of an insult that an Indian is the mascot of some sports for example, the Washington Redskins, The Florida State Seminoles, Clevland Indians, and Alanta Braves. In my personal point of view I would find it honoring that my culture is a mascot of a major sport. At the same time i can see how it could be offending especially the term "Redskins."

No comments:

Post a Comment